HOW TO VOTE BY MAIL in the April 2, 2019 Springfield Municipal Election
- Registered voters can apply for a VOTE BY MAIL BALLOT between January 2nd and March 28th. (Register online!)
Ballots will be mailed out to voters starting February 21st.
- To be counted, your VOTE BY MAIL BALLOT must be postmarked no later than April 2nd and received by the Sangamon County Election Office before April 26th.
STEP 1: COMPLETE AN APPLICATION FOR VOTE BY MAIL BALLOT
- Online Application
- Print out & Mail Application
- Mail your completed ballot to: Sangamon County Election Office, 200 S. Ninth Street, Room 105, Springfield, IL 62701.
- Your ballot will be mailed out to you after February 21st.
STEP 2: CAST YOUR VOTE
- Take note of the precinct information printed in the top right corner of your ballot and verify you have received the correct ballot for the WARD 8 precinct in which you reside. (This information can be found on your voter I.D. card, or you can click here to Locate your Precinct.
- Select the candidate(s) of your choice. On the left opposite the name of each candidate is an oval. Using a BLACK INK PEN, completely darken the oval corresponding to the candidate(s) of your choice. Any mark placed upon a ballot anywhere (including the designated voting area), which serves to identify and therefore distinguish it from other ballots, shall not be counted. A letter of the alphabet, an “X”, a check mark or other symbol are examples of an identifying mark. (In other words – ONLY darken the oval – DO NOT make any other marks on the ballot). You cannot erase or cross out a selection you have made. If you spoil (make a mistake), return it to the Election Office and request a new ballot.
STEP 3: MAIL YOUR BALLOT
- Place ONLY your completed ballot within the PRIVACY SLEEVE FOR VOTE BY MAIL BALLOT. Important – Do not fold your ballot
- Complete all applicable information and sign the CERTIFICATION ENVELOPE before inserting the ballot (which has been enclosed in the privacy sleeve) and seal within the RETURN MAILING ENVELOPE.
- Affix Postage amounting to a $1.42 to the RETURN MAILING ENVELOPE and be sure to complete return address information.
- Mail RETURN MAILING ENVELOPE to Sangamon County Election Office.